My research focuses on evaluating traffic, emission, air quality and health impacts of the transportation system. The main core of my work is developing the next generation of vehicle emission exposure modeling. This work involves integrating land use, travel demand and air quality models along with lots of scripting. My research helps to create health and climate change protective transportation system. I am also interested in studying the role that providing bicycle facilities may have on reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector and understanding the factors that affect people’s decision to use active transportation.
- Vehicle emission and exposure modeling
- Air quality and public health concerns
- Impact of autonomous vehicles on traffic and travel demand
- Integrated land use and travel demand modeling
- Tayarani, M., Baghestani, A., Allahviranloo, M., and Gao, O., Spatial/Temporal Variability in Transportation Emissions and Air Quality in NYC Cordon Pricing, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Volume 89, 2020.
- Zhang, Y., Tayarani, M., Al’Aref, S., Beecy N., Liu, Y., Sholle, E., Roy Choudhury, A., Axsom, M., Gao, O., Pathak, J., and Ancker, J., Using Electronic Health Records for Population Health Sciences: A Case Study to Evaluate the Associations between Changes in Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction and the Built Environment, JAMIA Open, 2020.
- Baghestani, A., Tayarani, M., Allahviranloo, M., & Gao, H. O. Evaluating the Traffic and Emissions Impacts of Congestion Pricing in New York City. Sustainability, Volume 12, 2020, Page 3655.
- Tayarani, M., Rowangould, G., Estimating exposure to fine particulate matter emissions from vehicle traffic: exposure misclassification and daily activity patterns in a large, sprawling region, Environmental Research, Volume 182, 2019.
Young Professional Runner-Up Best Paper Award, Environmental Management Group, Air & Waste Management Association 107th Annual Conference, Raleigh, NC, 2014.
- BS Civil Engineering, Tabriz University, Iran, 2009
- MS Transportation Planning, Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 2013
- PhD Transportation Planning, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 2018